The holidays are upon us! The gyms are closed and everyone is at home, what ever will we do with all this spare time? Train of course!
Just because the courts are closed doesn’t mean the local fitness facilities are. Joining a gym is a great way to stay physically active during breaks in training sessions. Can’t join a gym? That’s absolutely okay, I have a huge list of at home techniques to improve your game. No equipment necessary! Keep reading to see what those are.
Here is a Top 10 list of things 'Players can do at home to improve their game"
1. Eat well: it's easy to eat when bored or with inactivity, so grab health food options; and drink plenty of water.
2. Schedule your workouts: this can help keep you accountable for your workouts. If it is scheduled you are more likely to stick to it.
3. Watch basketball games or highlights: take mini notes of your favourite players and their game. This is a great way to learn new plays and continue to be inspired.
4. Go for a run: in the winter, yes, dress warm and go! Pop on those headphones and run. The distance is up to your allotted time. Running is great way to keep active and keep up that stamina that can be easily be lost.
5. Watch game tape: if you have game footage of yourself, watch it and see areas for improvement. Write down what you did right and what you can improve on. Celebrate your wins and learn from your mistakes!
6. TEAM zoom link: just because you're on holidays doesn’t mean you can’t stay in touch with your teammates, and improve team chemistry. Whether you schedule team meetings, or start a team group chat, keep in touch with your teammates.
7. Dribbling/defense: these are two of the best skills players can work on at home. Grab a ball and timer. If you can try to practice for at least 30 minutes a day!
8. Sleep Schedule: I know the tendency to stay up late knowing you don't have school/work is a hard one to ignore. However, a consistent sleep schedule will enhance energy and effectiveness for the next day. Did you know that when you fall off your sleep schedule it affects your body the same way a jet lagged trip to Europe would?
9. Make your New Year's Playlist: get your music ready! Music is a huge motivator! Make sure your playlist is filled with all the best music that gets your pumped and ready to play (clean music of course). Let’s start a team spotify! Tell me your favourite hype songs in the comments!
10. Set expectations for the new year: this might seem cheesy but they are wonderful motivators! Start with 5 new expectations you have of yourself and 5 things you want to continue to improve on since last year. Write them down, put them somewhere you can see everyday and revert back to them when you need some inspiration.
11. BONUS: Be on your best behavior and perhaps mom and dad will get those new basketball shoes you have been asking for :)
Enjoy the rest of your holidays! I can’t wait to see everyone back on the court!